From Foundations to Practice of Data Science and Back
The Columbia TRIPODS Institute aims to articulate methodological foundations for data science, spanning mathematics, statistics, and computing. Our emphasis is on foundations to support practice, through the analysis of successful heuristics, the development of well-structured computational toolkits, and the development of theory to support the entire cycle of data science.
We pursue these goals through a program of research, education, and center building.
Research Themes include:
- Interactive protocols for data science
- Primitives for efficient computation
- Tractable classes of (nonconvex) optimization problems
We are recruiting excellent postdoctoral scholars [job posting] and PhD students for interdisciplinary work in the foundations of data science.
- Columbia Researchers to Help LIGO Discover Gravitational Waves, October 3, 2017
- National Science Foundation Funds TRIPODS at the Data Science Institute, August 23, 2017
We gratefully acknowledge support from the National Science Foundation through the award CCF 1740833.